I admire The Finnish government for their efforts of making expectant couples feel comfortable. It is known that since 75 years ago, the Finnish government has been providing a “maternity package” or a box filled with items for baby. It’s big enough that moms use the box to lay baby down inside it. Check out http://milasdaydreams.blogspot.com/2012/11/things-i-love-in-finland-maternity.html for more images!
Read more about Finland’s Marternity packages here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22751415
I hope that the Philippine government prepare something like this for expecting parents. Having a baby will require couples to really prepare for the delivery. If the basics are given to the couples, then the couples are off to a good start. Also, this will allow the government to be able to monitor the development and the progress of the child. It will help promote breastfeeding and help drop the percentage of infant deaths in the Philippines, since couples are more relaxed and more prepared for obstacles and challenges.
If I were to make a box of items, here is what I would include:
1. St. Patrick’s 100% breastfed sando and brief set at php 399.75
2. Beginnings White Tie-sides
3. Lulu Mittens: I love the garter of their mittens. The mittens don’t come off easily
4. St. Patrick Onesies (particularly this design) We need a little motivation to continue breastfeeding!
5. Plain white frog suit (from Rustans Baby Club) I really love the design of this frog suit!
7. Safety First Grooming kit with nail cutter, hairbrush, comb, toothbrush, etc.
8. Chino Pino Cloth Diapers with Velcro
9. A Nursing cover from any of these Mompreneurs:
Nursing Covers from Mompreneurs
These are some of the things that I would like for us to have if ever we do get to have a Philippine’ Maternity Box! What other items would you want in the Philippines Maternity Box?
I hope that they will really have this passed as a law. I’d love to help out if this gets implemented!