An Interview with Momtrepreneur Angelica Dimayuga, Mompreneur/Owner of Honeybaby
Mommy Angelica is mom to baby Kiel, who is 1 year old this January. Angelica always wanted to start a business, but never knew what kind she wanted to create and build. “I didn’t really want to be an employee forever, if you get what I mean..” Angelica says. At that time, Angelica was a Landscape Architect who used to work for an outsourcing company for an international firm. When she and her husband decided that she’d be a full-time housewife (to breast feed and be a hands-on parent), she had it in the back of her mind that she also wanted to be a WAHM someday. This was to still be able to help her husband earn for our family. Putting up an online shop is one thing she was set to do, aside from her job as a virtual assistant.
Here is my interview with Mommy Angelica.
Ginger: Hi Angelica! First of all, can you tell us more about your business? What is it about and how long have you been in business?
Angelica: The store’s tagline: Mommy-picked, one-of-a-kind baby/kids hats, headbands, and hair accessories, I think briefly describes what the brand/business is all about. Honeybaby is an online boutique of various toppers, from the quirkiest to the most adorable, well, at least I’d like to think so.
I just launched my shop June of 2012, so it’s fairly new. So I still consider myself a newbie in the online business. I get my products from different suppliers/manufacturers both locally and abroad. I am still in the stage of trying out different products, checking and comparing which has the best quality and what the consumers are most fond of. And so I am constantly on the lookout for other adorable baby hats and headbands that I could add to my selection.
Ginger: Who do your think your target market is?
Angelica: Modern-day (quirky) parents like my husband and I, who are fond of trying out new things for their little ones, especially if it adds to their “cuteness” factor (haha).
Ginger: It’s quite and interesting concept. How did you come up with this idea?
Angelica: It was actually my husband who thought of the idea. It started when we had a photoshoot with our baby, and the studio had a cute bear hat that we (secretly) wanted for ourselves (hihi), because it was so cute! I tried looking for hats similar to the studio props, but there were none available locally. There were fancy crochet hats online, but just as I was about to order, hubby said why not try selling them here and be the one to offer them locally? I think it was just him thinking out loud, but it sounded like a bright idea back then. And it clicked, thankfully!
Ginger: I’m sure that you encountered some obstacles along the way when you decided to pursue becoming a momtrepreneur. What are these?
• Capital. First off, you need money to start a business. Since I was a fulltime mom (who recently quit her office job), I had to ask my husband if he could “invest” in my business. Good thing, he’s very supportive.
• Marketing. Since the product is “new”, most parents would think twice (or many more times) before they’d buy a hat! I must admit, it’s quite a hard sell, and I have to be extra “convincing” how I present/market my products, especially at bazaars! You have to be (extra) active in Social Media Marketing (SMM) just to get the word out. Getting referrals from happy customers is always a joy. I also got to make friends with mommy bloggers, photographers, and some of my customers.
• Last but definitely not least: Juggling motherhood and business. I have been an “independent” mommy ever since, and by that I mean, I have no yaya at all since I gave birth. But that’s a different story… I have had my crazy days when my time and attention is split between the business and taking care of my baby, breastfeeding to boot! But along the way, I’ve learned some “tricks” and developed an ideal routine..and it’s still a learning process, especially now that my son is almost a toddler.
Ginger: What is your long term dream for Honeybaby?
Angelica: I plan to design my own hats. I’m actually looking for local manufacturers/suppliers, because I want to support our local craftsmen. I also want to see my products in baby stores 🙂 This is why I started my online shop in the first place, because no local stores retailed quirky hats.
Ginger: What are three traits that you think a momtrepreneur should have when starting their own business?
• Passion and Perseverance. I think these go as a pair. Any business needs the passion to start it and perseverance to keep it going!
• Creativity. If you plan to be an online seller like me, build an eye-catching website that is user-friendly. My husband and I conceptualized and did the site ourselves. Think of a catchy phrase or tagline that is true to your brand, and a simple but memorable Shop Logo to go along with it. Be creative in all your marketing strategies, like host giveaways or offer something new.
• Optimism. You always have to think positive however bad a situation may be. Like, if you didn’t make a sale this week, if packages get delayed etc. Just breathe, and don’t let the stress get to you. Like the saying goes, “Keep calm and carry on”. Before you know it, you’l be busy processing orders the following week.
Ginger: What advice can you give to other Momtrepreneurs?
Angelica: Always have time for your family. Yes, keeping an eye on the business is important but family still comes first. Besides, you also need a break! Remember that you are first and foremost a wife and a mother, it is your number one responsibility.
Don’t loose it! You can never escape persistent customers, however annoying they can be sometimes. Be very patient with them, after all, you’re trying to please them. It’s not just about the sale, but about making (and keeping) connections. A good feedback from your customers is always very helpful.
Ginger: Thank you so much, Angelica! We learned so much about you and your business today. I know a lot of moms learned and were inspired by your story.
Honeybaby Contact Information:
a. Website/Multiply site: http://honeybabyonline1.wix.com/shop
b. Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
c. Mobile Number: 09436790081
d. Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/honeybabyonline
e. Twitter account: @honeybabyonline
f. Blog (for promos, giveaways, and events): http://liquesantics.blogspot.com/search/label/Honeybaby
*Note: Honeybaby was mentioned by Smart Parenting Magazine as one of the new finds for new moms:
Also, Honeybaby’s Hoot Hat is a finalist for the Multiply Origination Awards Most Original Mommy Management Idea: