As a parent of an active and bubbly child, keeping her healthy and safe is my utmost priority. I make sure that she eats on time and consumes healthy food. But as a toddler, sometimes, she just likes to play, follows me a bit when I tell her to eat and ultimately just “gets it over with”. Event if I get too over-protective when it comes to her daily eating habits, I know that I need to supplement it with vitamins to give her enough of the daily requirements needed. What I use now is RiteMED for kids.
As kids, they don’t understand the reason why they need to take vitamins, but Zeeka loves drinking Vitamins. She thinks it gives her superpowers! With this, I don’t have a hard time giving her RiteMED Multivitamins + CGF Syrup: Food Supplement. But I also tell her that she has to take it to fight fever (natural immune booster) and to prevent diseases and illnesses.
Research shows that ideally, children should get their vitamins and nutrients from a well-balanced and healthy diet that includes dairy, vibrant and fresh fruits and vegetables, protein like chicken, fish, meat and eggs and most importantly, good carbohydrates like whole grains, steel-cut oats and brown rice.
According to the National Nutrition Council (NNC), approximately four million Filipino children are suffering from malnutrition due to lack of healthy food to eat and enough vitamins and nutrients in a daily basis. As the figure balloons daily, this continues to be a serious child health problem, with the Philippines being highly disaster-prone. As the malnutrition increases in the aftermath of emergencies, added the NNC.
So how do we address this problem? Simple. It should always start at home. Sometimes, healthy children get their best start from what you put and buy in your grocery cart. Currently, there are 13 vitamins and 14 essential minerals that a child needs in order to grow healthily and properly. These are:
● Vitamin A helps promote normal growth and development, healthy skin, eyes, and immune system.
● Vitamin Bs – (B2, B3, B6, and B12) It aids metabolism, energy, and healthy circulatory and nervous systems.
● Vitamin C helps promote healthy muscles, connective tissue, and skin.
● Vitamin D helps bone and tooth formation and helps the body absorb calcium. The best source of vitamin D is sunlight.
● Calcium helps build strong bones and teeth.
● Iron builds muscle and is essential to healthy red blood cells.
Studies show that Megavitamins (large doses of vitamins) are not a good idea for children. It normally contains vitamins A, D, E and K, also known as the fat-soluble vitamins, can be toxic if
kids overdose on excessive amounts, same as with Iron.
But the risk of dietary deficiency is tremendously greater than the risk of overdosing on a multivitamin. Mostly, children’s daily dies are missing essential nutrients and taking one multivitamins daily has the potential to aid a nutrient diet.
How to get the Right Vitamin Supplement for Kids:
● Always check the label first – Make it a habit to always check and read the label carefully so you would know which nutrients are included and the amounts contained each serving. This is also to avoid consuming vitamins that will expire soon. I always trust RiteMED. I’ve shifted to this brand since February and I have been happy with using RiteMED Multivitamins + Chlorella Growth Factor Syrup.
● Percentage checking – Choose a supplement that provides 100% of the Daily Value (DV) because some nutrients like magnesium or calcium are not included, because if pharmaceutical companies include these, the pill/tablet will be too large to swallow.
● Get the essential vitamins and minerals – Most multivitamin preparations usually include the following vitamins and minerals: vitamin C, B1 (thiamin), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (niacin), B6, folic acid (B9), B12, B5 (pantothenic acid), biotin, A, E, D2 or D3 (cholecalciferol), K, potassium, iodine, selenium, borate, zinc, calcium, magnesium,manganese, molybdenum, betacarotene, and iron. You can check out RiteMED Ascorbic Acid 100 MG Syrup and RiteMED Zinc-C Ascorbic + Zinc Syrup Food Supplement
These are from my personal experiences as a mom. Of course, don’t forget to consult with your child’s doctor, too 🙂 Do you have other tips on how to keep your child healthy and safe? Share it with me!
Have a happy week!
P.S. For more information about RiteMED for Kids products, please visit their website (RiteMED) or visit their Facebook Page (https://www.facebook.com/RiteMedOfficialPage/) or Instagram account (@RiteMedicine). RiteMed for Kids products are available na in Southstar Drug, Watsons, Rose Pharmacy, Negros Grace Pharmacy, ThreeSixty Pharmacy, St. Joseph Drug, at sa iba pang leading drugstores nationwide!